Monday, January 17, 2011

The Superbowl: Turning the Best of Friends, into the Bitterest of Enemies...

     Every year, the game of football (as in "real football" and "not soccer") culminates in the "Big Game", the Superbowl. During this event, a strange phenomenon occurs. A friend cheers for their team which just completed an epic play, whereas you grumble and mumble angry thoughts under your breath. You much on your chips angrily as you await the next play, and wouldn't you know, your team intercepts the pigskin and drives it all the way to the end zone. Immediately, you jump up (tossing your chips), get in your friends face, and yell, "How do ya like them apples!"

     Now your friend is angry; he was calm until this. Over the course of the night the tensions grow ever higher. At the end of the night, if your team lost, you won't talk to that friend for a week. Every time you see him, a fire wells up within, and you scowl as you pass his cubicle at work. It takes a few days, but eventually you come to the sad realization: what am I thinking? This tends to happen every year on Superbowl Sunday, and even during the regular season: the game of football has the tendency to turn the best of friends into bitter enemies.

    Last year, we were treated to a surprise. The Saints beat the Colts and wrenched the title of "Supreme Victor" from a history of utter failure. It was a good game, somewhat boring, but it had some good plays. I went to a party, as is the tradition for every dude my age (as well as some 'dudettes'). I came into the party thinking, "You know, I really don't care who wins. I don't like either team, and while I think the Colts have the upper hand, I believe everyone deserves at least one (Lombardi that is...)." But whence I arrived at the party, the immense weight of peer pressure forced me to decide which side I was on. Although I said that everyone should get at least one, I just couldn't bring myself to cheer for the Saints. So the Colts it is! As more and more people arrived, the lines were drawn.

    Throughout the game, there were good calls, and bad calls, by a referee that even I considered to be to "green" (inexperienced). With those calls came flames: yelling joyously and/or furiously at the television (hoping that by maybe some chance that ref will hear me), and arguments amongst those of us watching. I found myself getting angry, wanting to say, "No, you shut up, he didn't have possession," and at some points, wanting to punch a someone in the face. And I know I wasn't the only one. Looking back, I have but one phrase to describe this: WUT? I don't even like those teams! I would never punch someone in the face over something so trivial. But there I was, wanting so much to just silence the other teams supporters. I look back and find it completely idiotic now. And this isn't the first time either. The year before we had a pesky little kid going for the other team (the Cardinals I think), and he was the only one in the house to do so. He was loud and obnoxious, and I know I wasn't the only one who wanted to give him a Falcon Punch across his mandibles.

    I find it humorous, and slightly unnerving. A simple, meaningless event (yes, when you really think about it, football is meaningless and only a game) can cause anger on a massive level between people who are the best of friends. Football is a dangerous thing.

P.S. - That kid last year so deserved it though. He was going AGAINST the Steelers. AGAINST. As a recent convert to the Brotherhood of Steel, I can say that he was definitely a Happy Meal short of a Happy Meal. Although I'm not a huge football fan, and probably wont watch many games, I will say that I am fiercely loyal to my team, and have to take a page out of a friend's book and say, "Come talk to me when you have six..."

P.S.S. - HUZZAH! GO STEELERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment