Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Glorious PC Gaming Master Race...

     So, it all started when I posted this picture on Facebook:

I absolutely love it by the way...
     A few hours later, I found myself deep in the dirt and grime of a fierce flame war...

     The picture above is of the Glorious, PC Gaming Master Race giving the light of superior gaming to the filthy, console-gaming peasants. It's a joke from a series of video game reviews known as Zero Punctuation. It's vulgar and dirty, but can be hilarious at times. I posted the picture because it is downright amazing.

     Within a few hours, I had several comments on it from the so called, "filthy, console-gaming peasants". One of them said he could pwn the PC Gaming Master Race any day (which he really could), while another said he'd offer a prayer to the Sony gods that I would repent and grant me mercy for my sins against them. It was then I felt the need to explain myself...

I CAN ARGUE BOTH SIDES EQUALLY, WITHOUT BIAS.

     I like consoles and the PC equally, and both have their merits and disadvantages.

THE PC:
A beauty, ain't she?
Pros:
- The best graphics of any system
- Faster load times
- More games
- More mods and support for said games
- Usually free multiplayer
- Tons of Free-to-Play games
- Emulators for those older systems you can't find anymore
- Multiple uses (more than just a gaming system)
- Mouses and keyboards are usually superior, allowing much better accuracy at faster speeds

Cons:
- Higher end systems are fairly expensive (mine cost over a thousand dollars, biggest con)
- Dealing with specs, and whether my computer will run a game or not
- A multitude of viruses and malware to deal with

CONSOLES:

Pros:
- Cheap (compared to computers, biggest pro)
- Console-exclusive games (Halo, Killzone, Gears of War, Uncharted)
- One system plays all (games will play on the system no matter what, no need to check specs)
- Simplicity of controllers

Cons:
- Some games just don't work (PS3, Skyrim)
- Xbox Live is outrageously priced, and has issues on occasion (Xbox 360)
- The Red Ring of Death (Xbox 360)
- Badly scratched disks won't play
- Graphics quality is lower to accommodate simpler hardware
- No mods, unless you hack your console
- Keyboard and mouse are superior to controllers

     Both systems will crash or burn out over time (with the exception of the Xbox, which is worse than usual). Most of the pros for one system are the cons of the other, and vice versa. Both have a wide variety of peripherals. And, most unfortunately, both have a multitude of overbearing fanboys. Both sides feel that they are vastly superior to the other, increasing the animosity between the two. Those who have never played games on a computer don't know what they're missing, but the same could be said of the other half.

     The truth is that both are equally as good at what they need to be: fun. Personally, I feel that console gaming is dying due to some poor choices by current developers (I'm looking at you Nintendo). I feel that PC gaming is the future, but that future is still a ways off. I have fond memories of both: the early days of Nintendo with Mario, Donkey Kong, and Star Fox; and hours upon hours of fun with Age of Empires and, especially, Age of Empires II. If both sides could set aside their differences, they could see that we are all one big happy family, a family of gamers.

     Except for those mobile gamers... the peasants.

No comments:

Post a Comment