Monday, March 4, 2013

Memorable Moments in Gaming: Shadow of the Colossus

     When Shadow of the Colossus came out years ago, I bought it for PS2. At the time, I wasn't the gamer I am today, and sadly, I gave up when I couldn't beat the last colossus. However, that was a long time ago, and my memory is absolutely terrible, so I only remembered very vague bits about certain colossi. So, when I bought my PS3, I picked up the HD remake, and I can't believe how much I had forgotten. One moment in particular though completely caught me by surprise...


*SPOILERS AHEAD*

     At long last, I'd made it to the end of the game. I opened the gates leading to the last colossus, Malus, and saved at the conveniently located save temple. I spotted a set of stairs and knew that they led to the end. So I decided to say goodbye to a dear friend.

"Hey buddy..."
     I walked up to my horse, Argo, and had a chat. Although my character didn't do anything but stand there, I did it anyway. I imagined myself brushing my fingers through his mane and patting him on the back. I said, "Okay buddy, I gotta go now. I don't know if I'll be coming back. If I don't, go find yourself a mare and settle down. Live a good life for the both of us." This horse had been quite stubborn, and had caused me quite a few headaches over the course of our journey, but I couldn't have done it without him (or rather, I couldn't have done it as quickly without him). It was touching (see, I can be sentimental too), and I genuinely felt that I would miss him. This hasn't happened to me in many games, but Argo and I suffered through life and death situations. We were bros. I didn't want to leave him, but it was safer for him to stay behind. I left him there at the base of the stairs and climbed to the top, only to found myself standing before a precarious bridge. I jumped the gap, and the bridge collapsed.

     The pieces of the bridge plunged hundreds of feet into the valley below, followed by my idiot self. Luckily, this is a video game and I had just saved. I rebooted the save and there I was again at the base of the stairs with Argo. I again climbed the stairs and searched for another way to the other side of the valley, but the bridge was the only way. Suddenly, I heard the clatter of hooves coming up the stairs behind me.

Sup' bro...
     Argo stood at the top of the stairs and stared at me, as if to say, "We can do this, dude. Together." I was like, "Right on. Let's go." I hopped onto Argo's back and trotted back down the stairs a bit. I turned us around and got us 'in the lane'. I took a deep breath.... and mashed that 'X' button with all the power I could muster. We hopped the gap and ran across the collapsing bridge. I thought, "It's working! We're ahead of the collapse! We're gonna' make it!"


     Suddenly, the collapse caught up to us. Argo lost his footing. I (literally) shouted, "No! Jump, Argo! JUMP!" All the sudden, he bucks me off his back and onto the platform. By the time I turned back around, I could only watch as my bro plunged into the valley below.

*Sniff*
     Then something amazing happened. A tear fell down my cheek. I'm not an emotional man. When Halo 4 ended, I didn't cry. When Journey ended, I felt emotional, but I didn't cry. But with Shadow of the Colossus, I actually shed a tear. It was only one, but it happened. I sat there staring into the valley below. "No way... I can't believe that happened... no way..." I thought. Sadness overcame me, but I  knew I had to keep going. "I gotta go, buddy," I said. "I gotta go."

      Suddenly, I was filled with rage. I made my way around to the final colossus. As I looked at the massive being in front of me, I drew my sword and charged in. "For Agro," I said. "For Agro..." With the other colossus, I had no drive or motivation other than my desire to save my woman back at the temple. But with this one, I was driven by revenge as well. I was angry every time I stabbed the colossus (I even stabbed it a few more times than was necessary). I said, "I'm gonna' plant this sword so far in the top of the skull, you're gonna' be tasting brain matter!" I was actually angry, not because I was about to rage quit, but because my best friend had just died.

"TASTE MY VENGEFUL STEEL!"
      I defeated it. All in all, I was somewhat disappointed by the ending, but only because I don't feel it lived up to the rest of the game. It was a decent ending, as only a Japanese story could give us. However, the game's ending wasn't the most exciting part.


     Sweet cuppin' cakes! AGRO SURVIVED! Although the ending was grating on me, I couldn't hide my happiness and excitement when I saw him hobble on screen. A gigantic smile crossed my face as I watched the rest of the credits. In the end, everything turned out okay, and I had a fantastic story to tell. Thanks for reading.

(Most screen shots from theRadBrad's playthrough of Shadows of the Colossus on Youtube.)

No comments:

Post a Comment