Thursday, September 5, 2013

'Attack on Titan' Ep. 21: Learning Lessons From Titans...

     After watching episode 20 last week, I found myself in a particularly odd place: do I watch the new episode and enjoy my weekly adrenaline rush dosage, or do I put it off and enjoy that supreme feeling of suspense that I love so much? I put it off for as long as I could but eventually caved. Although, had I known it was going to be so brutal and destroy my emotions I might have put it off a little longer... (Spoiler Warning: up to episode 21.)


     This episode didn't raise many new questions, but it did bring up a few:

THEORY #1: The Behemoth's Disappearing Act
     Commander Erwin speculates that whoever was inside the Behemoth possibly had 3DM gear and used it to escape in the smoke, which would explain they vanished seemingly into thin air. Hanji tries to dispute this, but she uses Eren as the example. Erwin points out that Eren is a total noob when it comes to titan transformations, and therefore may not have the skill to control every aspect of the event. In the end, we have to assume that whoever's inside Blondie must have already been wearing the Legion's outfit since they have it after they fled the titan body.

Unless they knew exactly where they were going to be when they left their titan body, which is highly unlikely...
     This makes a lot of sense. I can't believe I didn't figure it myself out after last week's episode (ep. 20). I was, however, on an adrenaline rush, so you'll have to cut me some slack.

THEORY #2: The Titan Among Us...
     Armin speculates something that goes right along with our previous speculation: Blondie is someone who was there to witness Eren's first transformation. He speculates that the only reason the titans didn't continue through Trost and destroy the inner wall is because they had a new problem...
An "Eren" problem...
     This, again, makes a lot of sense. Yet another thing I hadn't thought about.

     After these two theories are postulated, we get to the educational part of the episode: the part where I learn a lesson about getting attached to characters.

LESSON #1: Do NOT Get Emotionally Attached to Characters
     I should know better. After the attack on Shigansha and Trost and seeing all those people die when fighting Blondie in the open plains, I should know better. Somewhere deep inside my mind I start to think, "If they're not dead by now, they're probably safe." *Sniff*

Boy...
... was...
... I...
... wrong.
     The one that hit me hardest was Petra. I liked Oluo, Eldo, and Gunther too, but I really liked Petra. She was cute and had an incredible fighting spirit... and now she's dead. *Sniff*

I almost cried when I realized what was about to happen...
     I really liked Squad Levi, and I thought that since they were fairly major characters that they had fairly significant "plot armor". Now that they're dead, who's safe? Or rather, who's next? Commander Erwin? Hanji? Jean? Armin? Mikasa? Potato Girl?!? Man I hope it's not Sasha. See? There I go again, getting attached to characters...

But how can you not love this character?
LESSON #2: If Things are Going Well, Something is About to go Wrong
     This is a constant in the show. Eren an company successfully graduate and things were looking up: BAM! Trost. Blondie is captured in the forest by Erwin's brilliant plan: BAM! Feeding frenzy. Squad Levi has Blondie completely on the defensive: BAM! Just kidding, I was faking it.

Did not see that one coming...
     Eren had Blondie dead to rights: BAM! Eaten.

... or that one.
     So note to self: When things are going well, brace yourself for imminent despair. Now the question is, where is she going with him? It's not the first time Eren's been eaten, and Blondie did eat him whole, so I'm not too worried about that. Eventually he may escape his intestinal prison like he did before. But Mikasa witnesses the whole thing and goes nuts, chasing Blondie off into the forest and absolutely wrecking her...

"I'm gonna' tear you a new one!"
     ... until Levi swoops in and stops her, which is probably for the best. I might have to stop watching the show if they kill off Mikasa...

     There were also all kinds of surprises this episode:

SUPER SPINNING EYE DRILL TECHNIQUE!
IMPENETRABLE CRYSTAL NECK ARMOR!
SUPER LUMBERJACK TREE-AND-SKULL-SPLITTING ACTION!
     All in all, episode 21 was another highly enjoyable thrill ride to experience. While most of it was incredible, I did notice a few instances of reused footage, and certain bits of animation seemed to be placeholders for something that they didn't have the time to put in. I worry with this incredible quality of animation that the animators pushing themselves to the point of breaking again, as they did in episode 13. If it were up to me, and as much as I'd hate it, I'd tell them to have another recap episode and use the extra week to keep up the quality. I'd hate for it to get any worse, especially since the past five episodes have been absolutely stunning.

     Speaking of stunning... Lots of good "DEM EYES" shots in this episode!





     And the 'piece de resistance':


     Man I love this show...

     If you want to read more speculation about the show, here's where it's at:

     Again, I'll go ahead and say this now: NO SPOILERS IN THE COMMENTS. Please be a decent human being and let those of us who want to enjoy the suspense enjoy it without spoilers. I will disable comments if I have to, but I don't want to.

5 comments:

  1. Whoever you were, anonymous, I deleted the comment for "possible spoilerific properties". Please don't even hint at something like that... it makes me sad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah sorry. Didn't think it would qualify as a spoiler.

      Delete
    2. It was borderline, which means it gets the hatchet under my "Zero Tolerance" mandate. It's just that you singled out a certain character... don't mess with my emotions like that. The show does that enough already...

      Delete
    3. Attack on Titan? More like Attack on Emotions.

      Delete