Friday, May 30, 2014

TL; DR...

     Have you ever had a moment of stunning clarity? That moment where something finally *clicks!* in your head? Sure you have. Everyone has an epiphany every now and then. I just had one recently: Time is a very, very precious resource.

     There I was, playing Assassin's Creed IV. I'd gotten about half-way through the game, and I was doing the usual: burning through a bunch of side missions to get some money and resources so that I could upgrade my ship before taking on the next story mission. It was then, as I was sitting atop the branches of a palm tree overlooking a hapless pig that I was aiming to slaughter and harvest for parts, that I realized something: I'm sitting in a palm tree waiting for the pig to get closer. Waiting. Just sitting there. In that instant, all the times I'd wasted time in AC IV popped into my head: sneaking for over an hour through the bushes to get the perfect stealth kill, hunting monkeys so I could make darts so that I could hunt more monkeys, sailing the open sea aimlessly with no real goal in mind... And then one thing shot to the forefront of my mind:

AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT.

     I realized that while I was enjoying the game far more than the last one, I wasn't really into the story. I was enjoying the side missions and sailing. And I'd gotten my fill of it. Within minutes of this realization, I had quit the game and uninstalled it. I've reached that point in my life that I don't have the time or patience for things I'm not enjoying anymore. Games, movies, television shows... if they can't hold my attention and bring me happiness, I don't feel like I should be spending my time, a very valuable resource, on them.

     Recently, I've realized that some things I do enjoy have been shelved in favor of things that I feel I have to do. Things like writing for instance. I do so enjoy writing this blog, but I looked back at old posts and became discouraged as I cringed at the naivety of them. Additionally, many felt far too lengthy... and then I realized something else: why would you, the reader, waste your precious time on something so long winded? Even this post, by this point, has become too long winded for my taste. Basically what I'm saying is that I'm getting back into blogging, but on a much smaller, and more concise, scale. Maybe weekly. We'll see.

     Moral of the story: Time is precious. Don't waste it on things you don't enjoy. And don't let your friends give you grief for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment