Saturday, May 14, 2011

Some Actual Grumbles...

     So, a few friends and I went to see Thor last Sunday. Overall, it was a good movie, and I probably liked it more because Thor is my favorite Marvel character. However, there was one thing that irked me, and Thor isn't the only movie to have done it. No, I think the first time I noticed it was back in 2007, with Transformers. It probably happened before then, but it only first came to my attention then. What is this "it" I speak of? It's the problem of, "Can you please hold the camera steady during the fight scenes so I can actually tell who's getting hit?"

"If shaking the camera won't work... Just cover all the action with explosions! They'll never figure out what's going on!" - Michael Bay
     I don't understand why directors feel the need to shake the camera so as to induce nausea in the audience. Apparently they think it adds to the epicness of the battle, creating a sort of "Earth shaking" feeling. However, I see this "shaking" as a way to cover up bad choreography and/or faux-fighting ability. I just wish for a moment that they would hold the camera still so I can see the one dude punch the teeth out of the other.

I'm pretty sure there's a fist in there somewhere, but really I can't tell where the one guy ends and the other begins...
     Another thing I feel needs to die is 3D. There is way too much hype nowadays for this newfangled piece of nearly useless technology. Maybe I'm just biased, seeing as how I wear actual glasses. To me being able to see is more important than having things fly out at me. Even then, I feel that 3D doesn't really add to the experience whatsoever. It's the same as before: the movie appeals to your eyes and ears. None of your other senses are being utilized. I can't feel the objects bursting out of the screen, or smell them (not that I'd want to in some cases). It's even worse when the filming of 3D movies is done badly.

No thanks, I've already got a pair of hipster glasses...
     And while I'm ranting about movies, I might as well throw this out there: Avatar was ridiculous. Not Avatar: the Last Airbender (which I have not seen but have heard was equally terrible) mind you, I'm talking about James Cameron's Avatar. It was basically the story of Pocahontas set in the Sci-fi realm. Since it came out, I've heard several stories ranging from raving lunatics who proclaim Avatar as a work of indescribable art to the idiots who've killed themselves because they'll never set foot on the jungle planet Pandora. It was also the biggest hippie movie made in recent years. I'm all for saving the environment, but yikes, they go too far.

Can you paint with all the colors of the wind? I didn't think so...
     What else can I talk about... Hrm... Oh, cryptic, non-informative trailers. Super 8 is coming out this summer, and even after watching all the trailers, several times each, I still have little to no idea as to what this movie is about. I blame J.J. Abrams. This is the same type of thing he did with Cloverfield, and that was an utter failure. I'm not going to see your movie unless you tell me what the basis of the story is (save the princess, save the trees, kick some alien butt, etc.). You don't have to tell me the ending but at least tell me what your movie is about.

Needs more Cthulhu...
     Hokay... Enough ranting, I'm going back the Youtubes... And bacon!



(Thanks to Google for the pics, Youtube for the vids...)

No comments:

Post a Comment