Thursday, December 1, 2011

"Twas the Night Before the Parodies": Halosmas

     It's that time of year again! Every year for the past three years I've made a parody of "'Twas the Night Before Christmas". It's become a sort of tradition for me: one, to have something as an annual tradition and two, to continue to practice my writing and vocabulary skills. Sometimes it's a lot harder than I anticipate (as is seems to be this year). But, I shall persevere.


     In the meantime, I've decided to post the ones I've done over the past few years over the course of the next few weeks (one a week, I suppose). In 2008, the first year I really put an effort into it, I wrote an epic tale of Christmas on the front lines. Only these "front lines" were a little over five hundred years in the future, and on a planet far away...

‘Twas the night before Christmas
And all through the front
Not a creature was stirring
Well maybe a Grunt.

We Covenant warriors
Were lying in wait
Imagining victory
Over the humans we hate

When out on the field
There arose such a clatter
I peeked up from my trench
To see what was the matter

A lone Warthog
Burst out of the trees
And we who were standing
Dropped to our knees

This Warthog was different
Or so did it seem
Instead of a turret
It was packing a tree

On this strange tree
Hung all manner of lights
Their colors were many
And burned ever so bright

A noise they were making
A song I could hear
And then did I see him
The reason they cheered

Up from the snow
This one did appear
The lesser troops trembled
He was one to be feared

His armor was green
And his visor was gold
Behind it, his eyes
And a stare that was cold

In his hands was a weapon
That was too primitive to care
But in the hands of this human
All did beware

For it wasn’t the weapon
That made us feel fear
It was the human who held it
The Demon was here

All who had fought him
Were slaughtered like cattle
Not even the Hunters
Could best him in battle

We in the trench
Begged the Forerunners for aid
Preparing for doom
That surely came our way

And with a loud roar
He leapt into the sky
Yelling, “Merry Christmas to all,
Now you’re all gonna die!”

What? No presents?
     So ends "'Twas the Night Before Halo". I thank Bungie for giving us an awesome series of games, and for allowing me to open my mind and write fan fiction like this. Next up, the "front lines" get closer to home as I fight the fat man in red in my very own living room...

No comments:

Post a Comment