Friday, January 20, 2012

What is this... Weaboo?

      While watching a livestream a few weeks months ago, I heard a conversation between the Livestreamer and a commentor in the chat box. It went a little something like this:
Commentor: "Desu" means "death".
Livestreamer: "Desu" does not mean "death", you stupid weaboo!
     All I could say was... WUT? So, I did some research, and here's what I found...

Wait, what do you mean research? Is this about to be educational?
     Because I already knew that "desu" is Japanese (translated as "to be" or "it is", example: "kowai desu" = "it's scary"), I was intrigued. I wondered if this had something to do with Japan. So, I looked it up. Unfortunately, the definition is coming from the Urban Dictionary:

      "Weaboo: A negative term directed to anyone overly obsessed with Japanese culture to the point where they become annoying. Used frequently on the image boards of 4chan. Most weaboos are uneducated about their obsession of choice and are often noobs who are overly zealous, trying to impress others with their otaku knowledge. Another trait of a weaboo is their desire to "be Japanese". While the two terms are often fused together, weaboos are very different from anime fans or enthusiasts. A fan may be just as enthusiastic and knowlegable about Japanese culture, mainly anime, but they neither boast about their knowledge nor call themselves otaku (because of its known negative connatation)."
      Does this make me a weaboo? Erm... Let's break it down..

Another definition blog post? Ugh, not again...
        First off, it's called a negative term. No duh, I kind of figured that out from the way the Livestreamer yelled it at the commentor. I'm not "overly obsessed to the point where I become annoying." I try not to be too annoying, but then again I can't read people's minds. I never, ever, go to 4chan (I've heard enough stories to know NOT to go there). I'm not "uneducated about my obsession choice", nor am I "overly zealous". I do occasionally try to impress with my knowledge. I don't "desire to be Japanese". I don't necessarily boast about my knowledge. I do consider myself an otaku. But isn't Otaku bad too. Oh no, not this again...

      Yes, in Japan it has a negative connotation, but the word itself is translated otherwise. Otaku can be translated to, "Anyone with an obsession over a particular subject." In that sense, everyone is an otaku. Everyone likes something, and most people can call themselves an expert in at least one subject or area of their life. They may not truly be an "expert", but they might have put a lot of time and effort into something, therefore they know a lot about it. This would make them an otaku. I consider the word "Otaku" a simpler way of saying, "I'm a geek that enjoys anime, manga, and Japanese culture". I don't consider it negative here in America, even though I know it is used negatively in Japan. Now, back to weaboo...

Please let this be the last time he educates us on Otaku stuff...
     Now, another definition on Urban Dictionary put it this way:
"Weaboo: Derogatory term for a cultured person, most affiliated with the Japanese culture. People who use this term are usually low-IQ, over-patriotic (mostly American) morons who think it's bad to respect another culture. Weaboo's are often said to be white (or any other race) trying to be Japanese. This is not the case."
     I like this definition better. Just because I like Japanese culture doesn't mean I want to be Japanese. I have nothing against them, but I'm not going to fret over something I can't change. I like the Japanese language, and, yes, I'm trying to learn it. How is this different from someone trying to learn French or Spanish?

      I do believe I'm getting mad over nothing. I do that a lot, and then I try to educate the masses with a blog post... like this one. I had never heard this term "weaboo" before, and have heard it seldom since I heard it on the Livestream. I think it's more along the lines of the second definition. Some people feel the need to go out of their way to criticize others and their interests. These people are called "trolls", and should be ignored when encountered. Moral of this story:

 DON'T FEED THE TROLLS.

I don't even feel like I learned anything important...
(Pictures from (in order of appearance): Mouretsu Pirates, Lucky Star, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and Usagi Drop. None of the pictures are mine, because I'm lazy and don't want to look through 50+ anime for them myself...)

No comments:

Post a Comment