Tuesday, June 25, 2013

What is this... Difference Between Geeks and Nerds?

     Someone comes up and asks me, "So you're a nerd, right?", to which I respond, "No, I'm a geek.", to which they respond, "What's the difference?" That... is a good question. Over the past few years, I've struggled with answering this question, and found myself unable to do so in an easily understandable manner. Whilst doing a little research, I found the answer: "The distinction is that geeks are fans of their subjects, and nerds are practitioners of them."
I can't believe I never saw it like that...
     My mind was blown. I read the rest of the article (found here) and found it to be enlightening, even with all the mathematical mumbo jumbo and twitter shenanigans. The author used Twitter key words and an algorithm to come up with the final verdict, which I don't completely agree with. I'm terrible at math, so I normally use logical thinking and common sense to come up with my ideas. However, despite my objection to his methods, the ideas presented in the article are right on. The definition of geeks and nerds are spot on as well.

     A geek is an enthusiast of a particular topic or field. Geeks are more focused on gathering facts and collecting mementos related to their subject of interest. They are obsessed with the newest, coolest, trendiest things that their subject has to offer. A nerd is a studious intellectual, although again of a particular topic or field. Nerds are “achievement” oriented, and focus their efforts on acquiring knowledge and skill over trivia and memorabilia.

     The author also makes it clear that the lines can be blurred. Geeks can be nerds, and nerds can also be geeks. A nerd can be obsessive about collecting things and a geek can be obsessed with learning skills. The question isn't, "Are you a geek or a nerd?", it's, "Are you more of a geek, or more of a nerd?" The two titles aren't separate. Rather, they're on either end of a spectrum. As the article says, "They aren't two distinct personalities as much as different aspects of personality."


     This revelation has made me question my views about nerds and geeks. I had always viewed the title of "nerd" as a derogatory term. I always thought geeks were the "cool people", while nerds were losers. I used to think that being socially awkward was just a "nerd" thing, but I find myself growing more socially awkward every day.With this new way to look at geeks and nerds, I have to dispose of those views and realize that we are all nerds and geeks.

     I still feel I fall well under the title of "geek". I consider myself an intelligent individual with many skills, but I spend most of my time watching anime and playing video games. I have a vast collection of memorabilia from dozens of my favorite shows, games, and movies. I associate with others like me, people who are more geek than nerd.

I do work on acquiring skills, but I have a far more "collection oriented" personality.
     Etymology aside, the most important thing about being either a geek or nerd is to be proud of what you are. Be yourself; don't let the world tell you who to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment